The library of Sydenham Institute of Management Studies was destroyed after a fire broke out at the Sydenham College building in Churchgate on Sunday morning.
Books, wooden furniture, and computers on the third floor of the Institute were destroyed, Hindustan Times reported.
The fire spread rapidly because of books and wooden furniture. Though the exact reason for the fire is not known yet, a short-circuit is believed to have caused the fire.
“The entire floor will have to be cordoned off for some time. Students are on a term break at present, but once classes begin on January 2, we will need to find classrooms. We are yet to assess the total damage,” an official from the college told the daily.
Officials said that the restoration work will take time.
Sydenham College. Terrible news.Third floor gone. pic.twitter.com/sZS1AoE4nG— Shobhaa De (@DeShobhaa) December 25, 2016