On Wednesday, MoS MJ Akbar expressed disappointment at China’s decision to continue to block India’s efforts to declare Pakistan-based JEM chief Maulana Masood Azhar as an international terrorist. MJ Akbar was quoted saying by ANI: “Hope China as responsible nation understands double standards are simply self-defeating events to recite. 14 out of 15 UNSC members want action against Masood Azhar. There is one hold out. We hope this is the year that the hold out disappear. “
Earlier, union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday said that India is pursuing China to declare Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Maulana Masood Azhar an international terrorist. “We are pursuing China to declare JeM chief Masood Azhar an international terrorist,” Singh said.
The Union Home Minister’s statement comes just days after Beijing blocked New Delhi’s move to list Azhar as a United Nations designated terrorist.
India has accused JeM and its top leader Maulana Masood Azhar of masterminding several attacks including a deadly assault on an Indian Air Base in January last year and sought the UN to put him on the list of designated terrorist under the 1267 Sanctions Committee of the UN Security Council .
The JeM has already been blacklisted by the 15-nation Security Council, but not Azhar.
However, China for the third time since March last year blocked the move last week with its “technical hold”
With inputs from agencies