Representative Image (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
New Delhi: Bodies of two Indian soldiers were mutilated by the Pakistan Army which violated ceasefire along the Line of Control in Poonch sector and attacked a patrol team near the border on Monday.
“Pakistan army carried out unprovoked rocket and mortar firing on two forward posts along the Line of Control in Krishna Ghati sector. Simultaneously, a BAT action was launched on a patrol operating in between the two posts. In an unsoldierly act by the Pak Army, the bodies of two of our soldiers in the patrol were mutilated. Such despicable act of Pakistan Army will be appropriately responded,” a statement by the Indian Army said.
The Army, in its statement, has vowed to give a befitting reply to Pakistan “in the same language.”
Here are the past instances when Indian soldiers were mutilated by Pakistani perpetrators:
– May–July 1999: During the 1999 Kargil conflict Captain Saurabh Kalia was tortured by his Pakistani captors who later handed over his badly mutilated body to India.
– February 2000: Infamous Pakistani terrorist and al-Qaida member Ilyas Kashmiri had led a raid on the Indian Army’s “Ashok Listening Post” in the Nowshera sector to kill seven Indian soldiers. Even then, Kashmiri had taken back to Pakistan the head of a 24-year-old Indian jawan, Bhausaheb Maruti Talekar of the 17 Maratha Light Infantry.
ALSO READ | Bodies of Two Indian Soldiers Mutilated by Pakistan Army
– June 2008: A soldier of the 2/8 Gorkha Rifles lost his way and was captured by a Pakistani Border Action Team (BAT) in Kel sector. His body was found beheaded after a few days.
– January 2013: One soldier was beheaded and another killed by Pakistani troops after they crossed over into Indian territory in the Mendhar sector of Jammu and Kashmir.
– October 28, 2016: A soldier was mutilated by a militant in Kupwara’s Machil near the Line of Control while the army was engaged in cross-border firing with Pakistan’s army.
– November 22, 2016: In a cross-LoC attack by suspected Pakistani terrorists, three Indian soldiers were killed, with body of one of them being mutilated.