Press "Enter" to skip to content

45 students taken ill due to suspected food poisoning in Bihar's Punia

As many as 45 students of a residential religious seminary were taken ill due to suspected food poisoning in Bihar’s Purnia district on Sunday.

The incident took place at Jamia Milia Bada Madarsa at Dagarua Bazar on Sunday night as 45 students reported symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea soon after having dinner at the residential school, the civil surgeon MM Wasim said on Monday.

A doctor from the block hospital was initially called but soon after a medical team comprising doctors and four ambulances from district hospital, reached there to begin treatment of the ailing students, he said.

While 44 sick students were undergoing treatment at the madarsa itself, one student has been referred to district hospital in view of his serious condition, Wasim said.

The Civil Surgeon said that food poisoning was suspected to be the cause of sudden illness of 45 madarsa students.

Meanwhile, the Baisi sub-divisional officer (SDO) Anil Kumar has expressed ignorance about the incident.

When asked what action the local administration proposed to take on the food poisoning incident, he said he was trying to find out the facts of the matter from madarsa officials.

Source: HindustanTimes