Press "Enter" to skip to content

Chennai shocker: Man hacks young woman in Chetpet railway station

In an incident that is eerily similar to Swathi’s murder in Nungambakkam railway station three years ago, another young woman has been attacked by a man in Chetpet railway station.

The woman suffered grievous injuries to her face and fingers and is undergoing treatment.

Priya* (25), originally from Erode district, resides in a private working women’s hostel in Egmore and works in a government office in Chetpet.

Surendar, also from Erode, allegedly knew Priya as a friend.

According to the police, the incident happened in Chetpet railway station around 8 pm on Friday. Priya, who works in a government office near Ega Theatre in Chetpet was in the station waiting for a train to get back to her room. Surendar, who allegedly knew Priya, attacked her with a knife.

In the attack, Priya suffered serious injuries on her chin and fingers. After attacking her, Surendar allegedly jumped in front of a local train and was seriously injured. The onlookers rescued Priya rushed her to the Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital. Surender has been admitted to Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital for treatment.

Speaking to TNM, V Balakrishnan, Inspector General (Railways) said the exact motive behind the attack was not clear.

“Witnesses have told us that they saw Priya and Surendar talking and then suddenly he attacked her. He has severely wounded her face and she collapsed. He then jumped in front of a train and attempted suicide,” he said.

Adding that Priya lived in Chennai and Surendar had come to Chennai from Erode, informing his family that he was attending a wedding here, V Balakrishnan was unable to confirm if members of the Railway Protection Force (RPF) were present at the station when the incident happened.

In 2016, a young woman named Swathi was murdered in broad daylight in Nungambakkam station by a man named Ramkumar. Ramkumar had murdered her for rejecting his advances. The police had arrested Ramkumar and he was imprisoned in Puzhal, where he allegedly ended his life by biting onto a live wire. The case was formally closed in 2017 since the accused was dead.

Source: The News Minute