Press "Enter" to skip to content

Mumbai: Boyfriend arrested for impregnating woman twice, forcing abortion

A 28-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly raping a woman in Mumbai on several occasions on the pretext of marriage and causing miscarriage after making her pregnant twice.

The case came to light on Valentine’s Day when the woman consumed phenyl and was admitted to a government hospital.

According to police, the accused and the complainant, both aged 28 years, met in 2013, fell in love and maintained a physical relationship. The accused proposed marriage to the complainant, and on this pretext, had physical relationship with her on several occasions at different hotels in western suburbs.

In 2016, the victim got pregnant but the accused took her to an abortion clinic and got her medicines for the same. He also promised to marry her and met her parents as well. She too met his parents. Neither of their parents, however, were aware of their physical relationship.

However, the same year the complainant learnt that the accused was having an affair with another woman. The couple fought over this, but later patched up when he convinced he would marry her.

In 2017, the complainant became pregnant again, and on checking his phone, she saw numbers of other women with whom he kept in touch. They fought over this again. When she asked the accused to marry her, he refused to do so.

On Valentine’s day, the victim attempted suicide by consuming phenyl. The complainant was rushed to a government hospital where she got scared and said she consumed phenyl thinking it was cough syrup. A medical test at the hospital, however, revealed that she was pregnant and the police were informed.

The complainant then filed a case of rape alleging that her boyfriend kept raping her on the false pretext of marriage and made her pregnant twice.

Earlier this month, an FIR was registered under sections 376 (rape), 417 (cheating) and 313 (causing miscarriage without woman’s consent) of the Indian Penal Code.

The accused was arrested and remanded to police custody by Bandra magistrate’s court.

Source: HindustanTimes