The death toll in the collapse of a building in Dharwad town of Karnataka on March 19, has risen to 17, officials said Friday.
Three persons, including a woman, were rescued on Friday, after more than 60 hours.
A video shared by M N Reddi, Karnataka’s emergency services chief, showed a man and his wife being pulled out of the rubble after remaining trapped for over 60 hours.
While the woman was carried out on a stretcher, a rescue worker lifted her husband on his back up the ladder out of the debris amid claps and cheers.
Another man was rescued early Friday morning. The man had no visible injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital.
So far, as many as 54 people have been rescued by a team of around 400 personnel from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) and fire and emergency services.
The rescue team is searching for eight more people, officials said.
“A total of 14 people have died. Two people were rescued on Thursday,” Dharwad deputy commissioner M Deepa told mediapersons at the accident site.
“Oxygen and oral rehydration solutions were given to those still trapped,” assistant commissioner of police AS Bhoomareddy said.
Chief minister HD Kumaraswamy has announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh to the families of the deceased.
All four owners of the under construction building surrendered before the police on Thursday night after a case was registered against them. One of the owners has been charged with manslaughter, officials said.
The building’s engineer has also been taken into police custody.
Heavy earth-movers and rescuers with specialised equipment and sniffer dogs have also been deployed for the rescue operation.
A magisterial inquiry, to be headed by a deputy commissioner, has been ordered into the accident.
Mar 22, 2019 23:41 IST