First published: February 3, 2017, 2:09 PM IST | Updated: 5 mins ago
(Image: CNN-News18/TV Grab)
New Delhi: Ever since the Centre went public about the surgical strikes to dismantle terror networks operating near the Line of Control across Pakistan, much has been debated on whether the strikes were really effective and should India go for such overt operations.
Here are seven reasons why India should go after its enemies across the border:
– Pakistan will think twice before using terror against India as every attack will come with a price.
– More terrorists are waiting to infiltrate India and surgical strikes are necessary to dismantle the entire terror infrastructure and keep them on their toes.
– Escalation has worked in India’s favour in the past, for eg. mobilization of Indian troops on borders after Parliament attack led to a peace on the borders till 2008 Mumbai attacks.
– Past India-Pakistan military crisis has seen quick international involvement and pressure to defuse tensions. Delhi could redirect that international pressure onto Pakistan.
– An aggressive stance will further expose Pakistan’s incompetence and duplicity of supporting terrorists, much akin to what happened after American special forces killed 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad.
– India’s aggression could be helpful in demolishing the halo around the ‘all powerful’ Pakistan Army establishment and expose its vulnerabilities.
– It is also necessary to call Pakistan’s bluff on the use of its nuclear weapons against India.