New Delhi: Career bureaucrat Anil Baijal was on Wednesday appointed the next Lt Governor of Delhi, a post which had fallen vacant after sudden resignation of Najeeb Jung.
Following are some important facts about him:
– 70-year-old Baijal is from the 1969 batch of the Union Territory cadre.
– He retired from service in 2006 as Secretary, Urban Development Ministry.
– He has served as Union Home Secretary under the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government besides holding key positions in other ministries.
– Before joining the home ministry, Baijal was the vice chairman of the Delhi Development Authority (DDA).
– He has also worked as Chief Secretary, Andaman and Nicobar.
– Baijal’s other important assignments have been the chairman and managing director Indian Airlines, commissioner sales tax and excise, national capital territory of Delhi and development commissioner of Goa.
– He has also served as councilor in charge of India Aid Mission in Nepal.
– Baijal was actively associated with the designing and roll-out of Rs 60,000 crore Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) launched by the Manmohan Singh government.
– He served as the Independent Non-Executive Chairman at IDFC Bank Limited until December 8, 2016 and served as its Independent Director from September 12, 2014 to December 8, 2016.
– The former bureaucrat was also on the executive council of the think-tank Vivekananda International Foundation.
– He holds master’s degrees in arts from the University of Allahabad and the University of East Anglia.
Source: Zee News