Ministry of Railways has decided to implement the first phase of Aadhaar based ticketing system for Passenger Reservation System (PRS) tickets (both counter and e-tickets) for senior citizens.
The detailed procedure is as under:-
1. From January 1, 2017 to March 31, 2017 requirement of Aadhaar verification for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens shall be on voluntary basis.
2. From April 1 2017, Aadhaar based verification shall be mandatory for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens, .
3. Verification shall be optional during the implementation of first phase if senior citizens want to purchase ticket on full fare.
4. There shall be no change in procedure as regards concession to senior citizen in unreserved ticketing.
5. With effect from April 1 2017, during the journey, senior citizen passengers shall carry any of the original documents including Aadhaar Card as notified from time to time for the purpose of identity proof.