Over two months after the unceremonious sacking of Cyrus Mistry, Tata Group named TCS chief N Chandrasekaran as the new Executive Chairman of Tata Sons on Thursday, that saw a lot of bad blood recently in the country’s most bitter boardroom battle. Popularly known as ‘Chandra’, the 54-year-old will take charge at the helm of Tata Sons, the main holding company of the salt-to-software conglomerate from February 21.
“The Board of Directors of Tata Sons, at its meeting today, appointed N Chandrasekaran as Executive Chairman. This is as per the unanimous recommendation of the Selection Committee,” the company said in a statement.
He was chosen to step into the shoes of interim Chairman Ratan Tata, who took over on October 24 last year after the removal of Mistry. Chandrasekaran’s tenure has not been announced. It also had no word on what role the group would give to Ratan Tata, who was made interim chairman after Mistry’s ouster.
Here are some things that you need to know about the new Tata chief Natarajan Chandrasekaran:
1. He is the first non-Parsi chairman of Tata group.
2. N Chandrasekaran was born in a Tamil family in Namakkal, Tamil Nadu.
3. He is a photographer, music aficionado and a long-distance runner. He has completed several marathons, including Mumbai, Amsterdam, Boston, Chicago and New York among others.
4. Chandrasekaran joined TCS in 1987 after completing his Masters in Computer Applications from the Regional Engineering College, Trichy in Tamil Nadu. He did his Bachelor of Science in Applied Sciences from Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Tamil Nadu.
5. He took over as the CEO of TCS on October 6, 2009, prior to which he was COO and Executive Director. He is also one of the youngest CEOs of Tata Group.
6. He was appointed as the Additional Director on the Tata Sons Board on October 25, 2016, just after removal of Mistry from the position of chairman.
7. Chandrasekaran lives with wife Lalitha and son Pranav in Mumbai.